Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Normal

When I was still pregnant (and miserable) I asked Emily if she was ready for things to get back to normal? She responded, “things will never be normal, we will have a new member of our family!” She was so right. Yet, I still find myself wanting things to get back to “normal.” I crave routine. I wake up the same time every morning, go to bed the same time every night. I wake up before the kids and shower, dress and do the whole hair and makeup routine before they are even ready for school. Mike and I go to bed TOGETHER every night. So far, with the new addition to our family, all of this has been disrupted. All of my routines have been totally lost! I feel like I am lost as well. It’s been a long time since we have had a newborn in this house and boy is that a change. So, I find myself looking for the new normal.

It’s alright if I am not showered and dressed when I take the girls to school. They don’t have a policeman at the door checking to see if I am all primped and pretty for the day. No one there cares, and if they do, they can jump in a lake. This may actually save some money. I won’t feel as tempted to go shopping after I drop the girls off in the morning. Mike will like that.

I am still trying to find a new “normal” with my bedtime routine. I have always loved that time spent with Mike. I know it’s not gone for good. I have to relax, and find other times to connect with my Sweetheart, and cherish the time I have with my new little guy. The quiet times with just the two of us. I know it won’t be long before he finds his way out of my arms and finds that independent spirit that I know he has been blessed with. I am so grateful for this gift and I know that our new “normal” will be just a beautiful as the old.

gage

Speaking of beautiful, our friend Crystal Hunter took some amazing pictures of Gage. She has been blessed with an amazing talent, check out her site at www.timelineportraits.com/blog.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

The pictures are so cute!!! He is a very cute little thing.

I totally hear you- I am a routine person. Somehow you just find a new routine though. I am very rarely all dressed and ready very early anymore. I do miss it, but I know it change soon enough. I just have too many to get ready now.

Emily Carter said...

I've never been much for routine. I'm a flyby the seat of my pants girl. I am lucky if I'm dressed by the time I go pick up kids from school. When my kids see me get ready they get excited and ask where we're going. But I don't necessarily recommend this way of life. I'm sure your new normal will be wonderful! Those pictures are to die for! I can't wait to see them all!

Danielle said...

Heather, Heather don't you know that is why I loved carpooling with you. Adallyn threw me for a loop because my other 2 were so independent. I had to start again. But I realized fast that she was my last and that I had to fully embrace my connection to her. Many times I was never dressed til right before I had to pick the kids up from school but who cares. Atleast I can look back and say I really enjoyed my little one. And now she never leaves my side, she is a little sweety. I'll never get those times back. So I say try to embrace a new "normal." Good Luck!! Love the pictures, he is precious!!

Megan said...

The new "normal" is going to be a life long adventure with your little guy! So exciting!

I love the photographs! They are beautiful!

Thompson Family said...

Gage is so beautiful. I can't wait to meet him. Hang in there. You will get back to routine in no time.

The Lemon Family said...

so cute...bummed i have yet to meet him but i figure we should keep the pink eye to ourselves(and you can keep the bronchitis) we need to connect in the next week or so