
Seven years ago yesterday, I was at home in our cute little townhouse in Littleton, Colorado, anxiously awaiting the arrival of our second child. At this point we had no idea if the little one was going to be a boy or a girl. Mike was completely sure that it was going to be a boy, he could just tell.
At that time in our area in the suburbs of Denver we were experiencing bear problems, and for some reason one of them decided to move into our lovely neighborhood. As nice as it was, it really was not set-up for the bear population, you know small children and all. That night as we were finally in bed trying to calm the nerves of the impending birth of a child along with major surgery, the helicopters start circling. The noise alone could wake the dead, but they were also shining the search light into everyone's yards and windows. I couldn't believe it! There was no way I was going to get any sleep, we had to be at the hospital at 5:00 am as it was. Needless to say it was a long night, and I don't think they ever found the bear.
The next morning we headed to Littleton Hospital, ready for our scheduled c-section. Having scheduled c-sections is rather anticlimactic when it comes to childbirth, but hey, whatever gets the job done. I remember being really nervous as to how Mike would handle the surgery part, so when we finally got down to business I was rather surprised how well he handled all the blood and guts. I can't say I could be that cool! When the doctor delivered the baby and said it was a girl, we were both shocked! Mike had me totally convinced that it was going to be a boy, so we hadn't even really finalized any girl names. We had talked about two, Hannah and Emily, but hadn't made a decision on either. The doctor asked what we were going to name her, and Mike turned and looked at me and said very decisively, "Hannah." And that was that, she was our beautiful little Hannah.
Hannah is one of those children that, the more I get to know her, the more I wonder as to how I was so blessed to be her Mother. From day one, she has been so easy going. A blissfully easy baby who brought so much joy into our home. She was blessed to be a healing spirit in our home and I see that gift everyday of her life. She is kind and loving. Always the first to give up something that she wants in order for the other person to be happy. When she was a baby my Dad nicknamed her "The Judge" a name that was passed down from his childhood. She always had a very stern look on her face, and didn't give up smiles very easily. I at times, kind of worried what is this child going to be like. It wasn't very long before I realized that I had nothing to worry about. Hannah has been blessed with a great sense of discernment that even as a baby shined though. I hope it is one of those gifts that she holds to for the rest of her life. Hannah has been blessed with great faith. I have never known a child with such a deep relationship with her Heavenly Father. It is something I envy at times.
She has also been blessed with a deep compassion for others. On her first day of kindergarten I noticed a little girl on the playground who looked rather rough. Most of her hair had fallen out with a few little clumps of long hair left. We later found out that she had leukemia and was going through chemotherapy. I pointed her out to Hannah and said that she may have a hard day because some of the children may not be very nice to her because of her different appearance. I told Hannah that she should go out of her way to make her feel loved that day. Well, the kid blew my mind. Not only did she make sure she had a good first day of school, she made sure that she was always by her side. They became the best of friends. It was a short lived friendship, the little girls family moved a few months after school started, and Hannah was heart broken.
Hannah also has a fun, giggly, silly kind of side as well. She loves to play outside and ride her scooter and bike. She loves to dance and sing, and at this time in her life she is totally convinced that her and Hannah Montana are sisters separated and birth. I haven't had the heart to break the bad news yet. She is getting ready to start the second grade and loves to learn. This summer has been fun watching the reading bug catch hold. Last week when I was fully engrossed in the new Stephanie Meyer book, she decided to race me with her Judy Moody book. It was so fun to lay in bed together and read. She was constantly letting out little giggles and fun belly laughs. All I can say is, it's magical to watch your child fall in love with a book. Let it be known, she beat me! But, in all fairness she only had 140 pages to my 750.
Hannah is one of those old souls that has brought much joy into our family. I can't wait to see what this life has in store for her! Happy Birthday, sweetie!!




9 comments:
Happy Birthday, Hannah Banana, from the Lips Clan!
I love this post. I hate being so far away from my cute little nieces. This post has helped me get to know Hannah a little more. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH!
We are so excited to get to visit. As far as I know we are on so I will be in touch to settle the details.
We love you guys.
Oh Happy Birthday Hannah! You really are a blessing! It's so good to hear more about your little girl Heather, things we might not know without this opportunity. I love the details about the bear. Talk about memorable!
Happy Birthday Hannah!! What a wonderful daughter you have!! She reminds me so much of my little Maddox with the power of descernment...you can tell that some kids are just born with amazing gifts from the very beginning of their lives. How special she is!
What a neat post about Hannah! Heather you are awesome!! And Happy Birthday Hannah!!!
Happy Birthday Miss Hannah. I can't believe all of the girls are growing up so fast!!!! Still as cute as ever!!!
Well Happy Birthday Hannah. She is such a cutie and so sweet. Everytime I see her at the school she always says "Hi." I just love her little smile!!
Happy Birthday sweet Hannah!
Post a Comment