Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Think I'm Finally Getting It!

My Mom was really good at doing things with us girls, like cooking & dishes and stuff.  She had, and still does have a wonderful way with children.  I on the other hand did not inherit much of her talent.  I am more from my father branch of the tree, a perfectionist!  My need to be totally in control hinders the way I work with my children, unfortunately.   I watch my Mom and friends work with their children in awe, wondering how do they do that without their blood pressure reaching new heights?  Well, finally after 10 plus years of mothering I finally did it.  Sad I know.

Emily and I made Split Pea Soup together.  Emily cut the celery for me. I realized that a few cents of extra celery really isn't that big of a deal. We had a wonderful time, and I had an "Ah,hah" moment.  To celebrate we shared some Ants on a Log.  One of my favorite childhood snacks.  It's amazing how something so little can turn into something special.



7 comments:

Thompson Family said...

I know what you are doing right now. I added a comment on your last blog and when I came back to your site the whole thing had changed. It was kind of funny. I really like the most recently updated look as well. And as far as the "good mom" thing goes. Emma is sitting on the floor next to me and all she wants is for me to help her walk around the house for the second sraight hour today. Oh where is one of those dangerous walkers when you need one? Can't wait until she can get around on her own. ( I bet I am going to regret saying that;)

Tara said...

Ahhh!! Those pictures of Emily helping out are adorable :) Some good mother daughter time as well!!

Perry Family said...

Love the change, but I'm wondering how many hours it took:) And cooking with the kids is the best! Bryanna loves helping out in the kitchen, esp. when she hears the blender turn on...nothing seems more fun at the moment!! Cute pics with emily.

Christene said...

You're so right. Spending those precious moments with our messy and imperfect little people are what make life so meaningful! They adore helping us and feel so special to be in "our realm". Good work you wonderful mother!

Kim said...

She is so sweet. I am with you on the letting kids help thing. I am sort of a perfectionist. I am more impatient than anything. I need it done and done now, type thing! Thanks for helping me feel better about my self! (especially after the day I had, a couple days ago) I better stop while I am ahead, Im making no sense!

delong said...

You are a great mother in so many ways. Not every parent can be great with their kids in every way, but you certainly have many to make the girls feel special. I love what you do with them and how we learn from each other doing different things!

The Mullins said...

hey I changed the header outline on the lichty's, don't know if you didn't know how to do it or didn't do it yet. ok bye