It's kind of nice to have a focus while on a trip like this. Our focus has been the Christmas Markets here in the area. Friday night we went to a market in a beautiful town called Michelstadt with some of our friends from the job site. It was quite a drive and we were a little disappointed to see that is was almost all closed up when we got there. The good thing was that some of the food vendors were still open, so we were able to take care of Mike's bratwurst craving. The area was still very beautiful so it wasn't a wasted trip, plus it was fun to get reacquainted with Robert and Lori. I am now kicking myself for not getting a picture of them, but no worries, they have invited us for Christmas dinner, so I will get one then.
Saturday, after my morning run to the market, we went to Rothenberg's Christmas Market. Now, everyone who has any knowledge of German Christmas Markets or Christ Kindel Markets, says that this is the best one. Now, I don't know if it is the best, but it was fun. Rothenberg is higher in elevation from where we are staying, so there was snow and it was much colder. Something we weren't expecting. The town is a beautifully preserved medieval town with an incredible town wall surrounding it. The architecture here is amazing and to think that it was all built in the 1500 and 1600 is incredible. This one was a bit of a drive as well, so when we got there everyone was ready for a bite to eat. So, once again, off to the bratwurst stand (I am beginning to think that's all they eat here.)
The drive to Rothenberg was very pretty and Mike suggested that I take some pictures while we were driving. I didn't think they would turn out but, they did! Here are some pictures of the drive.
Even though it's cold, it's really fun to see the lacey trees and all the snow. Because really, what's Christmas without snow? Believe it or not these were all taken while moving in the car. Mike's a genius!
One of our treats this time was a Schnee Balle translated to mean, Snow Ball. They are in the picture above. They look like a wad of pie crust with powder sugar or chocolate on them. Lori told us they were a must, and she was right. They were yummy!
Tonight we are getting ready to attend church in Mannheim tomorrow. Wish us luck! You think it's hard keeping kids under control when the meeting is in English, I'm sure it's no walk in the park when it's in a different language.
2 comments:
I love Rothenberg! Such a beautiful town...and I imagine even more so when it is decorated for Christmas and covered in snow!
The pictures are just fascinating! The snow looks amazing and all the signs and buildings...beautiful!! I'm glad you had a fun day. Are the Christmas markets only during Christmas? Just wondering. :)
Post a Comment