Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Steep Learning Curve

O.k. day two was a little rocky!  It started with the fact that the girls went to bed at 7:30 pm and then were woken up by Hannah who by now had contracted the croup at 2:00 am.  Yea me!!  That gives us a three of a kind, Emily has bronchitis, Haley an ear and sinus infection and Hannah has the croup. Luckily my good friend Anne, who has traveled here several times with her family, told me to bring any and every kind of medicine I could get my hands on.  I also have a pediatrician who agreed and gave me several prescriptions to bring with us.  So, other than the loss of sleep, the croup was no big deal, and everyone is getting progressively better.  I wonder what is in store for Mike and I?

When Mike left for work we were stuck at the house for the majority of the day.  What to do with Three girls in a strange house and no television?  Sad I know.  The girls thought it was great.  They played so well together and had a ball. 

Dancing 1 Dancing 2 Dancing 3

They have been singing and dancing all day, which gave me the time to get the house in order.  Seeing how this house is generally use by the guys at work, it needed a little bit of TLC.  That’s code for it was kind of gross.  First order of business, try and figure out how to use a washing machine in German.

IMG_1012 Chocolate Euros 

Not only were all the controls in German, it was a front load washer, of which I have never used before.  Silly me, I started playing with the controls before I loaded it and it had to run an entire cycle (which was three hours) before I could load it.  So that was a challenge.  Next onto the dishwasher, same problem but a little easier this time.  Now the real challenge came with a 2000 sq foot house with hard wood floors.  A dust bunny haven!  The trick to this one is to let your kids play with the Dirt Devil  and pay them in little chocolate Euros for each room.  Problem solved.  Next challenge, how to cook with a European stove and oven.  Once again I felt a little lost trying to roast potatoes in Celsius.  Tell me again why we don’t have a world wide standard measurement system?  Well I managed to make it work and made a tasty dinner of steak, roasted potatoes and broccoli. 

Today the girls and I went for a little walk to get to know our neighborhood.  It’s so hard to put into words the raw beauty of this place.  The trees, the moss, the ivy, the smell,  the old world homes, it’s all so beautiful.  I would have to say that even photographs can’t show the true beauty.

 IMG_0988 IMG_0997 IMG_0984

IMG_0998  IMG_0990

Not too far behind our house is an incredible cemetery.  All of the graves were beautiful and very well taken care of by the families.  Each site has it’s very own character with lovely landscaping and flower arrangements.  Some even had little angel figurines and candles.  It was amazing to see how these people love and honor their dead.  We were only there for a few minutes and we saw several ladies coming to take care of the grave sites.  It was amazing.

IMG_0991 IMG_0992

After Mike got home from work, he still had some stuff to do at home, and I was a little stir crazy.  The girls and I decided to take a little drive.  My desire to see everything, kind of overrode my common sense in this case.  Once I got out on the very narrow roads with the girls I realized that I don’t have any clue about European traffic rules or even my address if I was to get lost.  Not to mention the fact that if I did get lost, I don’t speak the language to even ask directions.  AAAAAH!   Time to woman up, and really step out of my comfort zone in order to not look like a total coward in front of my girls.  I stuck to one main road and found a local grocery store.  Yea!  Time to do some real shopping, you know, not the Wal-Mart type of shopping.  It was fun to see all of the fresh breads and yummy chocolates.  Everything is so different here, it’s so hard to not look for things that look familiar and stick with them.  The whole point is to try new things.  We’re working on that.  I tend to have a more adventurous spirit than my family. 

12 comments:

Kirsten said...

Glad you guys are having a good time! (This is Kirsten, by the way)

Say hi to Germany for us! Sigh.

:)

Love ya!

The Mullins said...

Jealous!!! I love the appliances are in a different language. I would laugh so hard. It looks beautiful!

The VanderHoevens said...

I will have to say I am not sure if Jeff has seen your blog - but he will be over the moon jealous once he does. He has always wanted to go back to Germany. How long are you guys there for???

Christene said...

Thanks for the details! i love the pictures of ivy and moss growing spontaneously. To a Vegas girl this is amazing! I didn't even think of the celsius and german controls on the appliances! Yikes! And I'm sorry about the illness. It sounds like you're handling it well, but it's never fun to be sick at home, much less abroad. I loved the cemetaries and the old houses. Double sigh!! :) We love you!

Ragan said...

What a great adventure for you guys Heather! How long are you going to be there?

Megan said...

I remember feeling the same in Germany! A little lost! I had come from France, where everyone speaks English, they just don't speak it (if you know what I'm saying), but Germany was different! We ate a lot of bread and cheese and meats from the little markets we found. What a terrific adventure!

Danielle said...

Heather, if anyone can do it, it is you. It looks amazing, what a great experience. Good luck with the language. Keep us posted. Be safe!!

Perry Family said...

I think you are having such great fun, and experiences to always remember...so glad you are blogging them, you will not regret it! I know how it all is in a different language...one the bright side, at least you can read the letters, put words together and look it up in a dictionary!

The VanderHoevens said...

Heather,

I can't even express how jealous I am of you right now. I would so love to be in your shoes in Germany. It is my dream to work there for maybe just another year or two with the family.

In Weinheim, you are dead center of where I spent most of my mission. Heidlberg, Worms, Mannheim, Speyer, etc. It is pretty much my favorite place in the whole world.

Have a blast while you are there an soak it all up!

Have fun with the washing machine, I believe that setting you have it on is litterally cooking your clothes.

-Jeff

Unknown said...

I had to laugh when I saw the controls on the washing machine. Dear, oh dear...I don't know a word of German.

Chrissy said...

What a fun experience for you guys!! And all the great memories your girls are going to have!! Get better!!

Brianna said...

Yeah, I'm so glad you made it there safely. You guys are going to have soooo much fun over the next few weeks. How awesome for your girls.

Tell Emily that Benjamin, Emma, and Joseph miss her terribly!

When you get back (if you're not too tired of taking pictures) I would really love for you to come to the house and take some pics of our new little guy! He will be here on the 30th (scheduled C-section) and I really wanted you to document the delivery, but they don't allow that here in Vegas. Anyway, I just love your eye with the camera.

Hope that you stay warm and can finaly adjust to the time change!!!

Happy Holidays!