Friday, December 26, 2008

My Paris Souvenir

I am not one who believes in cheesy t-shirts  and cheap hats that scream the name of the place where you have been.  Although, I still feel the draw of bringing something home to  mark your travels.  I usually tend to try and find some natural and unusual element from the location, a container of sand, a pretty rock, a piece of driftwood, or something of the like.  On this trip I have done the same.  Not only is it inexpensive (free ,really) it doesn’t feed the cheap tourist trade that has ruined some lovely place to visit.  Although I would have to confess, I succumbed to the call of the cheap souvenir.  On our way home from Paris, we stopped at what they call an Autohaus, it’s a European art form.  About every 50km you will find one on the side of the freeway.  Some even have a covered walkway for the people going the other direction on the autobahn to be able to cross over and partake in their goods.  The Europeans have an unwritten rule (so we have been told) that every two hours on a road trip, you must take a break.  They also do not believe in eating in the car.  Even if they pack their own lunch, they will stop at the Autohaus and stand outside of their car and eat their food.  Europeans really take their road tripping seriously.  Anyway, while we stopped at the Autohaus for a bite to eat on our trip, I wandered into the gift shop and found the cutest mug.  Even my souvenir hating self could not pass up the cuteness.

IMG_1871 IMG_1875

It was 9 euro, which nearly sent Mike over the edge.  But, my sweet husband still bought it for me.  I caved I know, but wouldn’t you agree, it’s too cute!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so darling! Not your usual cheap souvenir

Anonymous said...

This is really cute. Great find! It will take you back to this trip every time you use it. Well worth the price!

Chrissy said...

That is a cute mug!! Glad you got something fun!!

Christene said...

I love it. It's the best mug, and everytime you're sipping your Choffee, you'll think of this trip to Germany and Paris and remember the special time you had. I love how it has the eiffel tower in the background and the french phrase on the back. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!

Ragan said...

This is Tim and all I can say is I'm jealous! It's good to see you guys having a great time. I love France. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Tim